Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pushing cars on the main line?
Skyline User's Forum > > Activity Generator
John B
Hello. A couple of times, I've been in a situation where I have no choice but to push a few cars down the main line to their destination, maybe five miles away. I know I'm supposed to know my route and check the maps to see if spur tracks will be in the right direction before I start. I also know that pushing is allowed as long as a brakeman is on the front car and is in constant communication with the engineer, and a minimum speed is adhered to. Is this done in the real world? I don't remember ever seeing a train push cars on the main line. Maybe one of you railroaders can answer this. Thanks!
John Barbour
Danville, Va
jrmeindl
QUOTE(John B @ Feb 6 2008, 07:51 AM) *
Hello. A couple of times, I've been in a situation where I have no choice but to push a few cars down the main line to their destination, maybe five miles away. I know I'm supposed to know my route and check the maps to see if spur tracks will be in the right direction before I start. I also know that pushing is allowed as long as a brakeman is on the front car and is in constant communication with the engineer, and a minimum speed is adhered to. Is this done in the real world? I don't remember ever seeing a train push cars on the main line. Maybe one of you railroaders can answer this. Thanks!
John Barbour
Danville, Va

In my area, I have seen this done occasionally on the CP/Soo Line, the old Milwaukee West Line. All the trains have had a caboose on the end though. I'm guessing it was for short movements. I am only a few miles from the Bensenville yard. Running locos with the long nose forward with a caboose right behind the engine is a more common sight. Those movements also have speed restrictions as well. Most engines are not designed to run long nose forward as a lead unit.

Jim

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.