Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Packaging a Generated Activity
Skyline User's Forum > > Activity Generator
Old Geaser
Thanks to Steve and others, This old man has been having a ball making switching act. for my personal use. As I belong to the OVS group, I thought I might package some and upload to others that like switching. I made a short one and packaged it and uploaded it. It is available as ovor-097-01. Here is where something went aground. I made another short one and when I try to package it I cannot make it work. I have tried to run it as I did the 1st time but must be doing something wrong. The read me file with msts really does not tell much about packaging.

After I open the program, and get the page that has the map of the Ohio route, I click open an then package activity. After editing things like time, etc, I believe I click ok, and then get a message "activity not complete (Some data not setup) So the activity will not be playable".

Is there any place that has good direction for packaging generated acts? I have tried several searches and can only find ways to install apk files, not any on how to make them. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Bert dry.gif
jrmeindl
QUOTE(Old Geaser @ Mar 29 2008, 03:38 PM) *
Thanks to Steve and others, This old man has been having a ball making switching act. for my personal use. As I belong to the OVS group, I thought I might package some and upload to others that like switching. I made a short one and packaged it and uploaded it. It is available as ovor-097-01. Here is where something went aground. I made another short one and when I try to package it I cannot make it work. I have tried to run it as I did the 1st time but must be doing something wrong. The read me file with msts really does not tell much about packaging.

After I open the program, and get the page that has the map of the Ohio route, I click open an then package activity. After editing things like time, etc, I believe I click ok, and then get a message "activity not complete (Some data not setup) So the activity will not be playable".

Is there any place that has good direction for packaging generated acts? I have tried several searches and can only find ways to install apk files, not any on how to make them. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Bert dry.gif

Hi Bert,

If you are using the Activity Editor to modify the activity, you need to make sure that there is some text in the two items marked "Edit Activity Description" and "Edit Activity Brief". These two items must have something listed in those windows. It can be as simple as a single character or something of more detail instructions you might have for the user. If you omit filling them in, you will get an error "Activity not complete (Some data not setup) so the Activity will not be playable".

Jim
Old Geaser
QUOTE(jrmeindl @ Mar 29 2008, 03:55 PM) *
Hi Bert,

If you are using the Activity Editor to modify the activity, you need to make sure that there is some text in the two items marked "Edit Activity Description" and "Edit Activity Brief". These two items must have something listed in those windows. It can be as simple as a single character or something of more detail instructions you might have for the user. If you omit filling them in, you will get an error "Activity not complete (Some data not setup) so the Activity will not be playable".

Jim

Old Geaser
QUOTE(jrmeindl @ Mar 29 2008, 03:55 PM) *
Hi Bert,

Jim

Old Geaser
Jim,

No I am not modifying a activity. I have made another short 40 minute act. I have run the act and want to package it into a apk file so I can upload it to the OVS testers. After I get this packaging thing fixed, I will be making 1 to 2 hour acts. for uploading.

Even though I made the one act and got the APK file and uploaded it to the testers, I must have forgot what sequense I did things. Now I get a msts send/dont send eror, and the APK file has 00 bites.

Maybe I am just to old to be learning these things. If I can find exactly what to do step by step, I could write it down so I can do it again. I guess I need some one to take me by the hand and show what to do after opening the msts editor (or what ever the name is.)

I have run all of the OVS switching acts, ( Not a long hall engineer) and have made several activities editor acts. Just thaught there might be others that like switching acts without having to run half way around the route. But I have to work out this packaging problem I have. Thanks

Bert (Gold Bar, WA)
jrmeindl
QUOTE(Old Geaser @ Mar 29 2008, 09:04 PM) *
Jim,

No I am not modifying a activity. I have made another short 40 minute act. I have run the act and want to package it into a apk file so I can upload it to the OVS testers. After I get this packaging thing fixed, I will be making 1 to 2 hour acts. for uploading.

Even though I made the one act and got the APK file and uploaded it to the testers, I must have forgot what sequense I did things. Now I get a msts send/dont send eror, and the APK file has 00 bites.

Maybe I am just to old to be learning these things. If I can find exactly what to do step by step, I could write it down so I can do it again. I guess I need some one to take me by the hand and show what to do after opening the msts editor (or what ever the name is.)

I have run all of the OVS switching acts, ( Not a long hall engineer) and have made several activities editor acts. Just thaught there might be others that like switching acts without having to run half way around the route. But I have to work out this packaging problem I have. Thanks

Bert (Gold Bar, WA)

Hi Bert,

In order to make an APK file, you will need to start the Editors. Once you have that screen up, choose Activity Editor. From there choose File and then Open. You should then see all of your route folders in the window. Navigate to the route that has the activity you want to package. Select it and double click or choose Open. Another window will then open with the folders for that specific route. Select Activities, double click or choose Open. You should now see all the activities that are available for that specific route. Select the activity you wish to package and choose Open. The route should appear on the screen. Now you will be able to package the route. Choose File then Package Activity. You should get a screen that you will have to fill in a name for your packaged activity. You can also select/change the location of the file. Type in any name that you wish and then choose save. It should then return back to the route. From here you can exit the editors. The activity is now ready to be distributed. I usually test it myself before passing it on just in case if something went wrong.

Jim

Old Geaser
QUOTE(jrmeindl @ Mar 30 2008, 07:59 AM) *
Hi Bert,

In order to make an APK file, you will need to start the Editors. Once you have that screen up, choose Activity Editor. From there choose File and then Open. You should then see all of your route folders in the window. Navigate to the route that has the activity you want to package. Select it and double click or choose Open. Another window will then open with the folders for that specific route. Select Activities, double click or choose Open. You should now see all the activities that are available for that specific route. Select the activity you wish to package and choose Open. The route should appear on the screen. Now you will be able to package the route. Choose File then Package Activity. You should get a screen that you will have to fill in a name for your packaged activity. You can also select/change the location of the file. Type in any name that you wish and then choose save. It should then return back to the route. From here you can exit the editors. The activity is now ready to be distributed. I usually test it myself before passing it on just in case if something went wrong.

Jim

Jim,

Thanks for all of that information. I did as directed and after packaging it, I found the APK file, but it only has 613 bts,. I run it again using another name and get the same APK file size. I have not finished running the act yet, but would gess it will be a hour. The 1st act I did that I uploaded was a 40 minute and had 10,000 bts. I tried installing the new apk file and do not see anything in train store.

Using train store, I have only the act, that I am trying to package unstored. I tried unstoring the route, and the activity editor will not start because of missing file. I have several acts that I have downloaded and will not work because of missing file etc. I am going to delete them as they will not work. Maybe that is my problem.

Do you do any editing in the boxs that is on the right side of the colored outline of the route before packaging?

Does it make any difference weather the route is unstored or can it be packaged with only the act that you want to package is unstored. I don't know, maybe I should leave the act making to others. Thanks again,

Bert
jrmeindl
QUOTE(Old Geaser @ Mar 30 2008, 02:12 PM) *
Jim,

Thanks for all of that information. I did as directed and after packaging it, I found the APK file, but it only has 613 bts,. I run it again using another name and get the same APK file size. I have not finished running the act yet, but would gess it will be a hour. The 1st act I did that I uploaded was a 40 minute and had 10,000 bts. I tried installing the new apk file and do not see anything in train store.

Using train store, I have only the act, that I am trying to package unstored. I tried unstoring the route, and the activity editor will not start because of missing file. I have several acts that I have downloaded and will not work because of missing file etc. I am going to delete them as they will not work. Maybe that is my problem.

Do you do any editing in the boxs that is on the right side of the colored outline of the route before packaging?

Does it make any difference weather the route is unstored or can it be packaged with only the act that you want to package is unstored. I don't know, maybe I should leave the act making to others. Thanks again,

Bert

Hi Bert,

The size of the APK file is going to quite a bit smaller than the original activity. Only key things that are relative to the activity are stored in the APK file such as path points, consist information etc.

The two items marked "Edit Activity Description" and "Edit Activity Brief" I do modify to give the user some information about the activity. The one marked "Edit Activity Description" is the one you see while scrolling thru the Activities page in Train Simulator. Since only a small amount shows up, I keep that one to a basic description on what the activity is or about. The "Edit Activity Brief" is what you see after you start an activity. It also accessible when you hit the F11 key while in an activity. This one I usually put more detail in. This is the one that will give the user all of the information they will need to run the activity. This is the one Activity Generator puts the information about what template the activity was created from and gives info on where to find the work order etc. One thing to keep in mind about these two areas which is extremely important. They must have at least one character in them for Train Simulator to run the activity. You cannot leave them blank.

I'm not a user of Train Store, but in order to edit, run etc. the activity, you must have the route unstored or available for use. Hopefully, someone who uses Train Store can fill in some more details.

Creating activities is really easy with Steve's Activity Generator. I used to create everything from scratch until I got AG. Just about everything that I have created the past couple of year and half has been with AG. I use the generated activity as start point for them. Once created, I do modify them a bit to my own liking by adding Location, Time and added Action events. If you were to look in the file library at Train-Sim.com, all of the activities that I created for the freeware Cajon Pass were generated by AG with some editing from me to add Location Events etc. All of those were done while I created the templates for AG. So don't give up trying to edit or create activities.

Jim
Old Geaser
QUOTE(jrmeindl @ Mar 30 2008, 04:07 PM) *
Hi Bert,

The size of the APK file is going to quite a bit smaller than the original activity. Only key things that are relative to the activity are stored in the APK file such as path points, consist information etc.

The two items marked "Edit Activity Description" and "Edit Activity Brief" I do modify to give the user some information about the activity. The one marked "Edit Activity Description" is the one you see while scrolling thru the Activities page in Train Simulator. Since only a small amount shows up, I keep that one to a basic description on what the activity is or about. The "Edit Activity Brief" is what you see after you start an activity. It also accessible when you hit the F11 key while in an activity. This one I usually put more detail in. This is the one that will give the user all of the information they will need to run the activity. This is the one Activity Generator puts the information about what template the activity was created from and gives info on where to find the work order etc. One thing to keep in mind about these two areas which is extremely important. They must have at least one character in them for Train Simulator to run the activity. You cannot leave them blank.

I'm not a user of Train Store, but in order to edit, run etc. the activity, you must have the route unstored or available for use. Hopefully, someone who uses Train Store can fill in some more details.

Creating activities is really easy with Steve's Activity Generator. I used to create everything from scratch until I got AG. Just about everything that I have created the past couple of year and half has been with AG. I use the generated activity as start point for them. Once created, I do modify them a bit to my own liking by adding Location, Time and added Action events. If you were to look in the file library at Train-Sim.com, all of the activities that I created for the freeware Cajon Pass were generated by AG with some editing from me to add Location Events etc. All of those were done while I created the templates for AG. So don't give up trying to edit or create activities.

Jim

Hi Jim,

I started using train store when I started running the Cascade & North West route. You have to open only the act you are running or get a lot of crashes. I cannot run the editor with the route open. Get a lot of files missing etc. I guess the first thing to do is work on fixing it to where I can run the editor with the route open, not just the act.

I may just use Steve's program to make more act for my self. As I play this train game day and night.( I even dream trains) Maybe one morning I will wake up and figure out what I am doing wrong..

I printed your message for when I get back to it. CNW just came out with another series to work on. I will get back to that for a while. I am sure my age of 83 has a lot to do with my problems. Anyway thanks for the information.

Bert
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.