Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Run Time Error 53
Skyline User's Forum > > Activity Master
spguy
Hi All-

New to the forum, and here for some help. I've created an activity for TPII (3DTS) from UP Yard to Edison and am trying to change out the rolling stock, but everytime I try to "Proceed with Replacement", I am getting the dreaded "Runtime Error 53" message. I use Train Store, but everything is unstored, etc...This is a great program, but this has me vexed; any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

spguy
nbeveridge
QUOTE(spguy @ Jun 14 2008, 07:08 PM) *
Hi All-

New to the forum, and here for some help. I've created an activity for TPII (3DTS) from UP Yard to Edison and am trying to change out the rolling stock, but everytime I try to "Proceed with Replacement", I am getting the dreaded "Runtime Error 53" message. I use Train Store, but everything is unstored, etc...This is a great program, but this has me vexed; any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

spguy

See http://skylinecomputing.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=310

This is something that Steve will have to deal with directly.
sgdavis
QUOTE(nbeveridge @ Jun 15 2008, 08:02 AM) *
See http://skylinecomputing.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=310

This is something that Steve will have to deal with directly.

The last person who had a run-time error (it was run-time error 6) reported later it was an error on his end. I asked him to tell me what he did to fix it so I could share with others.

I'm sorry to hear about the problem. I assume you have already tried completely exiting Activity Master and re-starting? Run Time Error 53 means that the program can't find a needed file. Does the message indicate which file it is looking for?

In general I get more errors with Activity Master than Activity Generator, because Activity Master is accessing all the rolling stock on a user's drive and if there are any errors with that then the program can generate an error. For that reason my first suggestion when encountering any run-time errors in Activity Master is always to run Route-Riter and/or ConBuilder, first, to check all rolling stock for errors before trying to substitute using Activity Master. Also I read you are using TrainStore. You might try storing all but the routes with the rolling stock you want. That will greatly reduce the number of files Activity Master has to deal with, especially if the routes contain rolling stock you wouldn't want to use in this particular substitution, and that might solve your problem.

If this advice doesn't resolve your issue, please try checking the "Generate Debug File" box, then go through the same procedure that generated the error. Then find the file "debug.txt" in your \Program Files\Activity Master folder and email that file directly to me at SteveDavis@skylinecomputing.com

I had started a re-write of Activity Master and then stopped because of the new train simulator now available (KRS). I thought there would be a diminished interest in MSTS and add-ons related to it. Aparently I was mistaken, so late as it is I may yet undertake another maintenance release which better handles these file errors.

ConBuilder is much better about handling file-errors and I am in correspondence with Joe Bandit, who has become a good friend and supporter of Skyline (thanks, Joe!). He has shared with me some issues related to Vista that might prove helpful. I don't run Vista yet, but I will soon have a laptop that does, and I will install MSTS on it to see if I can learn about any new quirks related to that and how to better resolve them. Are you running Windows XP, or Vista, or what?

Thanks,

Steve
spguy
Well, thanks for the replies, but this was my fault...I gave it another shot and, well, it's amazing how well it works since I've updated it correctly! Thanks again for the help, though.

spguy

QUOTE(sgdavis @ Jun 15 2008, 06:35 AM) *
The last person who had a run-time error (it was run-time error 6) reported later it was an error on his end. I asked him to tell me what he did to fix it so I could share with others.

I'm sorry to hear about the problem. I assume you have already tried completely exiting Activity Master and re-starting? Run Time Error 53 means that the program can't find a needed file. Does the message indicate which file it is looking for?

In general I get more errors with Activity Master than Activity Generator, because Activity Master is accessing all the rolling stock on a user's drive and if there are any errors with that then the program can generate an error. For that reason my first suggestion when encountering any run-time errors in Activity Master is always to run Route-Riter and/or ConBuilder, first, to check all rolling stock for errors before trying to substitute using Activity Master. Also I read you are using TrainStore. You might try storing all but the routes with the rolling stock you want. That will greatly reduce the number of files Activity Master has to deal with, especially if the routes contain rolling stock you wouldn't want to use in this particular substitution, and that might solve your problem.

If this advice doesn't resolve your issue, please try checking the "Generate Debug File" box, then go through the same procedure that generated the error. Then find the file "debug.txt" in your \Program Files\Activity Master folder and email that file directly to me at SteveDavis@skylinecomputing.com

I had started a re-write of Activity Master and then stopped because of the new train simulator now available (KRS). I thought there would be a diminished interest in MSTS and add-ons related to it. Aparently I was mistaken, so late as it is I may yet undertake another maintenance release which better handles these file errors.

ConBuilder is much better about handling file-errors and I am in correspondence with Joe Bandit, who has become a good friend and supporter of Skyline (thanks, Joe!). He has shared with me some issues related to Vista that might prove helpful. I don't run Vista yet, but I will soon have a laptop that does, and I will install MSTS on it to see if I can learn about any new quirks related to that and how to better resolve them. Are you running Windows XP, or Vista, or what?

Thanks,

Steve

sgdavis
QUOTE(spguy @ Jun 15 2008, 03:10 PM) *
Well, thanks for the replies, but this was my fault...I gave it another shot and, well, it's amazing how well it works since I've updated it correctly! Thanks again for the help, though.

spguy

Great news, I am so glad you got it working. THANKS for getting back to us, we worry about this stuff!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.