Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Am I Cheating?
Skyline User's Forum > > Activity Generator
Old Geaser
This is something I have wondered about ever since my 1st generated act.

When I make a activity, there is always some cars listed to be picked up, but there is no set out location for them. What I have always done and was able to get a completion, is just set them out on any siding that is not listed to have a set out. I set out each unassigned set out on the nearest siding, not all unassigned set outs on one siding. I assume this is what I am supposed to do. Correct? Thanks

Bert blink.gif

sgdavis
QUOTE(Old Geaser @ Aug 9 2008, 01:11 PM) *
This is something I have wondered about ever since my 1st generated act.

When I make a activity, there is always some cars listed to be picked up, but there is no set out location for them. What I have always done and was able to get a completion, is just set them out on any siding that is not listed to have a set out. I set out each unassigned set out on the nearest siding, not all unassigned set outs on one siding. I assume this is what I am supposed to do. Correct? Thanks

Bert blink.gif

That is really up to you. You have to pick up the cars, but not necessarily set them out. That's perfectly prototypical: many locals run point to point and pick up and set out cars along the way, and the cars they pick up either go back to the starting point (if it's a "turn") or to the end terminal. When you make your last successful pickup or setout, the activity ends, because you have "solved the switching puzzle."

However you can simulate the whole run if you like. There are two ways to do this:
1. Set one or more "destination" tracks. All of the cars you pick up on Industry tracks along the way, will then have to be set out at one of these destination tracks. This will appear on your work order.

OR

2. Use the 'Assemble Train' ending instead of the default "end on last pickup/setout". This will require you to assemble all of the cars you have picked up, in a certain order, before the activity will end. But you get to decide where to do that. I personally prefer option #1, it is generally a little more realistic.

I hope this helps. And you're never cheating if you're having fun! After all this is a simulation ...

rolleyes.gif

--Steve
Old Geaser
Thanks Steve,

The # 1 sounds like a good way to handle the cars. It just did not sound right the way I have been doing it. Thanks again. Right or wrong, I am having fun with AG.

Bert rolleyes.gif

QUOTE(sgdavis @ Aug 9 2008, 12:55 PM) *
That is really up to you. You have to pick up the cars, but not necessarily set them out. That's perfectly prototypical: many locals run point to point and pick up and set out cars along the way, and the cars they pick up either go back to the starting point (if it's a "turn") or to the end terminal. When you make your last successful pickup or setout, the activity ends, because you have "solved the switching puzzle."

However you can simulate the whole run if you like. There are two ways to do this:
1. Set one or more "destination" tracks. All of the cars you pick up on Industry tracks along the way, will then have to be set out at one of these destination tracks. This will appear on your work order.

OR

2. Use the 'Assemble Train' ending instead of the default "end on last pickup/setout". This will require you to assemble all of the cars you have picked up, in a certain order, before the activity will end. But you get to decide where to do that. I personally prefer option #1, it is generally a little more realistic.

I hope this helps. And you're never cheating if you're having fun! After all this is a simulation ...

rolleyes.gif

--Steve

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.