Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Error Mesage
Skyline User's Forum > > Activity Master
Bear
I keep getting this error on ANY activity file I try to open after the first successful creation of an activity.

"Input past end of file encountered while loading" When you click"OK" on the error message...you are then returned to AM with no file loaded. (You get the same result when trying to load a template act as well).

I'm using Window7x64 Home Premium edition.
I have taken ownership of all files in the MSTS file structure.
I have made all files read/write able.
I have full administrative rights.
I am running AM as the admin.

Re-installation of the program will allow you to successfully create an activity. (However, you will have to re-assign all unknown types and give meaningful type-names to all your car type files again).

One follow up question,
When I do create a successful activity...what/were do I put cars that I have to pick up but have no drop-off point?
nbeveridge
QUOTE(Bear @ Dec 4 2009, 10:24 PM) *
I keep getting this error on ANY activity file I try to open after the first successful creation of an activity.

"Input past end of file encountered while loading" When you click"OK" on the error message...you are then returned to AM with no file loaded. (You get the same result when trying to load a template act as well).

I'm using Window7x64 Home Premium edition.
I have taken ownership of all files in the MSTS file structure.
I have made all files read/write able.
I have full administrative rights.
I am running AM as the admin.

Re-installation of the program will allow you to successfully create an activity. (However, you will have to re-assign all unknown types and give meaningful type-names to all your car type files again).

One follow up question,
When I do create a successful activity...what/were do I put cars that I have to pick up but have no drop-off point?

Okay, are we talking Activity Master (AM) or Activity Generator (AG)? You refer to AM twice, and talk about giving type names to car, which are AM. But you talk about templates and creating activities, which are AG.

I will assume AG.

I have seen this error when someone has modified the SWLACT or SWLTDB files. These are .csv files, and if you unknowingly add a little something into the file, it simply will not work correctly and will give this error. Often this is done unknowningly, and usually a reload of the template corrects this. This seems to be the case from what you say above.

So let me say to everyone -- monkey with the SWLACT and SWLTDB files at your own risk. You can always download the template again, or course.

As to the last question, you can choose what ending you want. The activity can either end when you make the last pick up or set out, or it can end when you reach 20 MPH after finishing the work, or it can end when you assemble the final train. It sounds like you are using the last set out or pick up option, which is the default. If your final train is longer than the destination track(s), then you will end up with cars left in the train. You can either be careful to pick destination tracks with more than the final train length, or just accept that not all cars will be spotted when the activity ends.

Bear
QUOTE(nbeveridge @ Dec 5 2009, 01:07 PM) *
Okay, are we talking Activity Master (AM) or Activity Generator (AG)? You refer to AM twice, and talk about giving type names to car, which are AM. But you talk about templates and creating activities, which are AG.

I will assume AG.

I have seen this error when someone has modified the SWLACT or SWLTDB files. These are .csv files, and if you unknowingly add a little something into the file, it simply will not work correctly and will give this error. Often this is done unknowningly, and usually a reload of the template corrects this. This seems to be the case from what you say above.

So let me say to everyone -- monkey with the SWLACT and SWLTDB files at your own risk. You can always download the template again, or course.

As to the last question, you can choose what ending you want. The activity can either end when you make the last pick up or set out, or it can end when you reach 20 MPH after finishing the work, or it can end when you assemble the final train. It sounds like you are using the last set out or pick up option, which is the default. If your final train is longer than the destination track(s), then you will end up with cars left in the train. You can either be careful to pick destination tracks with more than the final train length, or just accept that not all cars will be spotted when the activity ends.

OK, I'm talking strictly Activity Master. I only refer to activities as those are the activities that I wish to replace/rotate stock in.
I have done NO alterations of files outside of updating unknown file types with the correct naming, or list creation within AM.
I've done a clean install and like I mentioned; after the first successful creation of an SLG(?) activity, and updating all "unknowns" with their proper nomenclature...I have run a successful session in MSTS.
However when using the program again (Activity Master), I get the error.
Am I correct in thinking that AM is supposed to allow me to replace the default rolling stock of ANY act file with what is currently available in my MSTS setup?
To be as clear as possible; I can run AM once on any act, but subsequent attempts to Load ANY act file results in the error above. (this may sound like I can run it once on all acts, let me explain a bit more),
For example...clean install, I can load any particular act file...make all the changes and updates to the stock, generate(replace), and then run that act in MSTS...perfectly. ANY attempt thereafter to load ANY act file gives the error.
Hope this clears up some of the confusion.

Sorry, I just realized that last question may have confused you...that it obviously a Activity Generator question and probably should have been posted in the proper category in the forum.

Also, I think I may have found the source of my problem; there are a lot of extraneous template files and such left in my East Metro RR activity directory...that I may not have cleared out when I did my re-install of AM.

SLG-EMRRNB-ARCHIVE
WORKORDER-SLG-EMRRNB.txt
WORKORDER-EMRRNBII.txt
WORKORDER-EMRRNB.txt
EMRRSBTemplate.pro
EMRRNBTemplate.pro
WORKORDER-SLG-EMRRNB.csv
WORKORDER-EMRRNBII.csv
WORKORDER-EMRRNB.csv
SWLTDBEMRRSBTemplate.csv
SWLTDBEMRRNBTemplate.csv
SWLACTEMRRSBTemplate.csv
SWLACTEMRRNBTemplate.csv
SLG-EMRRNB-RSUsedAndFound.csv
SLG-EMRRNB-RollingStock.csv
EMRRSBTemplate-RSUsedAndFound.csv
EMRRSBTemplate-RollingStock.csv
EMRRNBTemplate-RSUsedAndFound.csv
EMRRNBTemplate-RollingStock.csv
SLG-EMRRNB.asv
SLG-EMRRNBII.act
SLG-EMRRNB.act

It's hard to determine what is original EMRR template info...and what is added/used by AM. (I believe the SLG extension is used by either AM or AG). Do these need to be removed when/if I do a re-install of AM?
sgdavis
QUOTE(Bear @ Dec 5 2009, 09:27 PM) *
OK, I'm talking strictly Activity Master. I only refer to activities as those are the activities that I wish to replace/rotate stock in.
I have done NO alterations of files outside of updating unknown file types with the correct naming, or list creation within AM.
I've done a clean install and like I mentioned; after the first successful creation of an SLG(?) activity, and updating all "unknowns" with their proper nomenclature...I have run a successful session in MSTS.
However when using the program again (Activity Master), I get the error.
Am I correct in thinking that AM is supposed to allow me to replace the default rolling stock of ANY act file with what is currently available in my MSTS setup?
To be as clear as possible; I can run AM once on any act, but subsequent attempts to Load ANY act file results in the error above. (this may sound like I can run it once on all acts, let me explain a bit more),
For example...clean install, I can load any particular act file...make all the changes and updates to the stock, generate(replace), and then run that act in MSTS...perfectly. ANY attempt thereafter to load ANY act file gives the error.
Hope this clears up some of the confusion.

Sorry, I just realized that last question may have confused you...that it obviously a Activity Generator question and probably should have been posted in the proper category in the forum.

Also, I think I may have found the source of my problem; there are a lot of extraneous template files and such left in my East Metro RR activity directory...that I may not have cleared out when I did my re-install of AM.

SLG-EMRRNB-ARCHIVE
WORKORDER-SLG-EMRRNB.txt
<snip>

It's hard to determine what is original EMRR template info...and what is added/used by AM. (I believe the SLG extension is used by either AM or AG). Do these need to be removed when/if I do a re-install of AM?

First, all of the files you list are related to Activity Generator except the Archive files. You can safely delete al the archive files but leaving the template files won't cause you any problems (MSTS doesn't read them, only AG does).

That seems clear but it is so strange that I am not sure I am following you still. Are you saying you can download an activity, and change the rolling stock in it using Activity Master just fine, and then run the activity in MSTS just fine? But, if you load any other activity again in Activity Master, you get an error in Activity Master? Also please confirm that the error is in Activity Master not in MSTS, right?

This may be a Windows 7 compatibility problem. No other users have reported this issue with Activity Master. Activity Master creates some files that it uses to track how you have used it in the past: the types you've assigned to locos, etc. I apologize that I don't know much about W7. I will install it one day and then will be able to troubleshoot these things better. One guess is that AM needs to read, and write, files in your \Train Simulator\ folder and also in the \Program Files\AcivityMaster folder (that's where it keeps the internal configuration files). Can you be sure AM has full rights to those folders? You mentioned giving "ownership" of all the files in the MSTS file structure. Can you do the same with \Program Files\ActivityMaster? That may fix the problem (it sounds like AM may be creating a file that it later can't read or modify, or it may be TRYING to create a file that never gets written out.)

If not I will send you a refund for AM until I can test it and confirm it works (or fix it so it works) with Windows 7.

Any others: have you used Activity Master with Windows 7 and if so what results have you had?

Thanks,

Steve
Bear
First, all of the files you list are related to Activity Generator except the Archive files. You can safely delete al the archive files but leaving the template files won't cause you any problems (MSTS doesn't read them, only AG does).

Thank you.
That seems clear but it is so strange that I am not sure I am following you still. Are you saying you can download an activity, and change the rolling stock in it using Activity Master just fine, and then run the activity in MSTS just fine? But, if you load any other activity again in Activity Master, you get an error in Activity Master? Also please confirm that the error is in Activity Master not in MSTS, right?

Exactly, and the error is only in AM, correct.
This may be a Windows 7 compatibility problem. No other users have reported this issue with Activity Master. Activity Master creates some files that it uses to track how you have used it in the past: the types you've assigned to locos, etc. I apologize that I don't know much about W7. I will install it one day and then will be able to troubleshoot these things better. One guess is that AM needs to read, and write, files in your \Train Simulator\ folder and also in the \Program Files\AcivityMaster folder (that's where it keeps the internal configuration files). Can you be sure AM has full rights to those folders? You mentioned giving "ownership" of all the files in the MSTS file structure. Can you do the same with \Program Files\ActivityMaster? That may fix the problem (it sounds like AM may be creating a file that it later can't read or modify, or it may be TRYING to create a file that never gets written out.)

I will try this, you may be right here. Windows7 is very adverse to making changes within the C:\program files(x86)\... file structure. (a real headache, MS's way of trying to tell you were and when you can make file changes). sad.gif
If not I will send you a refund for AM until I can test it and confirm it works (or fix it so it works) with Windows 7.

Thanks but I'm not giving up just yet. smile.gif

Ok, I took ownership off and removed all "read-only" attributes on ALL files in both, the Activity Master Directory, and MSTS Directory tree. (I do this as often as I make changes or add routes or stock). No Joy!

- However, we may have stumbled into the MS "black hole". As I mentioned earlier, Windows7 has instigated a new policy in regards to files that can be changed. MS/Windows7 want to keep all files in the C:\program files\...ext as read only by default. This means (I think), that even if you take ownership of all files in a directory under C:\program files OR the new C:\program files(x86), you still have to contend with the fact that MS/Windows7 is going to allow a change but then mark the file as "read only" the min your done. (I'm not 100% certain on this, because when you click on the properties of a directory in the "protected zone" IE:under C:\program files OR the new C:\program files(x86),...it's still shown as read only, even though you have removed all the read only attributes for all files in that Dir. So, any user program trying to access the "read/write-able" data inside that dir is shown that the dir is "read-only". I've been out of the systems analysis/programing field for a few years now so I cant swear this is happening.

I'm going to try a fresh install and try to see if I may have somehow opened one of AM's csv files by mistake and created this or not.
Thanks for you patience in this Steve.
Dave

UPDATE- RESOLVED
Uninstalled AM, Re-installed AM into folder OTHER THAN C:\program files\...OR the new C:\program files(x86)..., I have had NO problems since. I have created/edited act files and ran them with no errors whatever.
I created a new folder called "changeable" outside of the "protected files zone" and all seems well.
Thanks again Steve for all your help and a great product too.
jrmeindl
QUOTE(Bear @ Dec 6 2009, 10:12 AM) *
UPDATE- RESOLVED
Uninstalled AM, Re-installed AM into folder OTHER THAN C:\program files\...OR the new C:\program files(x86)..., I have had NO problems since. I have created/edited act files and ran them with no errors whatever.
I created a new folder called "changeable" outside of the "protected files zone" and all seems well.

Above is the reason I installed all my programs on Vista and Windows 7 to a folder named C:\msts outside of the Program Files folders. I have not had any issues as of yet with the installs. Too much fooling around otherwise.

Jim
Bear
QUOTE(jrmeindl @ Dec 6 2009, 01:33 PM) *
Above is the reason I installed all my programs on Vista and Windows 7 to a folder named C:\msts outside of the Program Files folders. I have not had any issues as of yet with the installs. Too much fooling around otherwise.

Jim

Yea, I know, but I'm so heavily invested now that a re-install of MSTS would be a real pain. I will get around to it eventually.
I've had 2 supposed HD crashes...at least that's what Dell was telling me...turns out after replacing a couple HD's and numerous re-installations of the entire system and MSTS and ALL related files ...it was just a MS issue that caused problems with Firefox that Firefox has fixed in their latest beta release. So yea, its a good idea and I could probably do a "copy all" and then just play with the registry entrys...but I'm soooo tired of spending more time fixing MSTS than running it, that I think I'll hold off for a few days.
nbeveridge
- However, we may have stumbled into the MS "black hole". As I mentioned earlier, Windows7 has instigated a new policy in regards to files that can be changed. MS/Windows7 want to keep all files in the C:\program files\...ext as read only by default. This means (I think), that even if you take ownership of all files in a directory under C:\program files OR the new C:\program files(x86), you still have to contend with the fact that MS/Windows7 is going to allow a change but then mark the file as "read only" the min your done. (I'm not 100% certain on this, because when you click on the properties of a directory in the "protected zone" IE:under C:\program files OR the new C:\program files(x86),...it's still shown as read only, even though you have removed all the read only attributes for all files in that Dir. So, any user program trying to access the "read/write-able" data inside that dir is shown that the dir is "read-only". I've been out of the systems analysis/programing field for a few years now so I cant swear this is happening.

I am glad that you found this. This is the first thing that I would have tried, noting what you said in the first paragraph here. Not that I am a computer genius -- I'm the farthest from it. Thanks for sharing this with everyone!!!
sgdavis
Thank you.

Exactly, and the error is only in AM, correct.

I will try this, you may be right here. Windows7 is very adverse to making changes within the C:\program files(x86)\... file structure. (a real headache, MS's way of trying to tell you were and when you can make file changes). sad.gif

Thanks but I'm not giving up just yet. smile.gif

Ok, I took ownership off and removed all "read-only" attributes on ALL files in both, the Activity Master Directory, and MSTS Directory tree. (I do this as often as I make changes or add routes or stock). No Joy!

I'm going to try a fresh install and try to see if I may have somehow opened one of AM's csv files by mistake and created this or not.
Thanks for you patience in this Steve.
Dave

UPDATE- RESOLVED

This is VERY interesting, I've learned something here! I guess W7 protects the "program files" folder from writes. I'll consider this with future rewrites - I may keep the program in \Program Files but store all the files that get altered in another folder. Thanks for the insight!
jrmeindl
QUOTE(sgdavis @ Dec 17 2009, 07:39 PM) *
This is VERY interesting, I've learned something here! I guess W7 protects the "program files" folder from writes. I'll consider this with future rewrites - I may keep the program in \Program Files but store all the files that get altered in another folder. Thanks for the insight!

Steve,

Protection of the folder 'Program Files' actually started with Vista. At least the versions 'Business' and above. I never had the home version. When we upgraded our shop software, after Vista was released, we had to do all the upgrades on the server before attempting to adding any Vista workstations to our mix. We use Win 2003 Server at work currently. These changes were mainly due to how Microsoft was enforcing the security restrictions. Data files (for example, spelling checker files, log files) were now be installed to a created folder in the system’s %AllUsersProfile% location by default. This is now the preferred install location per Microsoft. Most of workstations were XP pro, but the change for the software was made across the board to bring it into compliance with the new standards. It was for this reason I installed TS, AM and AG to a folder outside of the 'Program Files' folder. This way they were not bound to those restrictions.

Jim
highdesertdave2
QUOTE(sgdavis @ Dec 6 2009, 04:48 AM) *

Any others: have you used Activity Master with Windows 7 and if so what results have you had?

Thanks,

Steve

First off I have this same problem. I don't have Windows 7 I have XP like one of the others who complained about this problem. I've had AM since 2007.

My experience is very similar to this person's I went an change out cars in an act by Henry Patey called Barstow act. for the CP3ML route AM said there was over 200 cars not on my drive. So I added some of the downloads to my trainsets. identified all the unkown car types, and then asked AM to change out all the cars I didn't have just with the same type cars.

AM seem to work just fine. but when I tried to run this act in Train Store it told me they were problems and after checking further I discovered AM hadn't changed anything in the act. Everthing was unstored in Train Store when I used AM.

So I called for AM and tried runing it and kept getting these same two messages as above. I tried using AM on other acts that I had change in the past on other route and got the same messages.

I'm not here for a refund. I liked AM when it works. I would like for you to fix this problem as It is absolutely useless to me now. This is in no way personal but on at least two other ocasions I mentioned problems with it (1) "overflow run 6" and (2) " can't find a certain car or diesel in the car array summary contact Skyline Computing" and never saw or found a fix for these problems.

When I bought AM I very very seldom had a problem with it, but since the last update It has been very hit and miss when I try to change out rolling stock. One thing I have notice is the larger the amount of stock you neen to change out the more these errors occur.

I have both AM and AG and appreciate Steve creating them very much, but again these problems with AM need to be addressed and fixed otherwise it's useless to me. I need a fix for XP not windows 7.
sgdavis
QUOTE(highdesertdave2 @ Feb 7 2010, 03:05 PM) *
First off I have this same problem. I don't have Windows 7 I have XP like one of the others who complained about this problem. I've had AM since 2007.

My experience is very similar to this person's I went an change out cars in an act by Henry Patey called Barstow act. for the CP3ML route AM said there was over 200 cars not on my drive. So I added some of the downloads to my trainsets. identified all the unkown car types, and then asked AM to change out all the cars I didn't have just with the same type cars.

AM seem to work just fine. but when I tried to run this act in Train Store it told me they were problems and after checking further I discovered AM hadn't changed anything in the act. Everthing was unstored in Train Store when I used AM.

So I called for AM and tried runing it and kept getting these same two messages as above. I tried using AM on other acts that I had change in the past on other route and got the same messages.

I'm not here for a refund. I liked AM when it works. I would like for you to fix this problem as It is absolutely useless to me now. This is in no way personal but on at least two other ocasions I mentioned problems with it (1) "overflow run 6" and (2) " can't find a certain car or diesel in the car array summary contact Skyline Computing" and never saw or found a fix for these problems.

When I bought AM I very very seldom had a problem with it, but since the last update It has been very hit and miss when I try to change out rolling stock. One thing I have notice is the larger the amount of stock you neen to change out the more these errors occur.

I have both AM and AG and appreciate Steve creating them very much, but again these problems with AM need to be addressed and fixed otherwise it's useless to me. I need a fix for XP not windows 7.

There hasn't been an update for quite a while so I'm not sure what is meant by reference to "problems since a former update." It sounds like maybe something has happened to your installation of Activity Master, or perhaps the rsdb.csv file that stores the rolling stock. I will email you off list a link to a full install of the program in case that helps. Also I might suggest re-downloading the activities and deleting the \archive files so AM can start from scratch.

One thing - I think you know this because it's been covered in the forums but for best results we recommend that you run AM once, then don't run it again on another activity or the same activity. Rather exit it completely (to clear the memory and buffers) between runs.

The most common cause of problems such as you mention here is with rolling stock errors in the \TRAINSET folder. Norm and I recommend using Route Riter (a free utility) to go through and fix all rolling stock problems. That cures 90% of these types of problems. Activity Master doesn't fix problems with rolling stock, it just substitutes rolling stock.

I will download Patey's Barstow act and install the CP3ML route and see if I get these same problems. But I won't be able to do it until next weekend probably, since I'll be out of town for my job until later in the week and don't have MSTS on my laptop. I really do want to get this to work for you but it is very difficult for me to figure out what happens on each person's individual machine. If I can't duplicate the problem on my machine, then I'll need to send you a thumb drive and have you load your whole \TRAINSET folder (after using TrainStore to Unstore Everything of course) onto that, so I can run AM with YOUR rolling stock and see what happens or if I get errors.

I'm sorry you're having problems with the program. It is tough as a software author to write something that works on my machine and most others but then once in a while an individual has a problem. Usually once I figure out the cause of the problem I learn something and the software becomes better for it as I learn to deal with some anomaly in the files that I was unaware could exist.
I don't want to rip anyone off but realistically the best I can do if I can't get this working on your machine, is to refund your purchase price -- I know you said you don't want that but

I hope I can figure out what is going on with your machine and AM.

Thanks and sorry for the frustration,

Steve
sgdavis

I just tried to use AM on Patey's Barstow activity and received a run time error 6. So there is something going on with that, perhaps it's a limit on the amount of rolling stock items AM can handle. Will investigate.

Thanks,

Steve
sgdavis

I have posted an update which I believe will correct this. Please download and unzip it and copy it to your \Program Files\ActivityMaster folder. You can get the new version here: http://www.skylinecomputing.com/AMUpdate.zip

Please let me know if this corrects your problem.

I tested the Patey activity for Cajon 3ML and it worked. Two important notes about that activity:
1. It uses an invisible locomotive, called "ClearGP". I am not exactly sure what that is used for, but, you must download that (it is available on train-sim.com and Henry provides a link). Do NOT allow Activity Master to substitute for that as it will either substitute a Coal Car (if you don't go into your setup and tell it that this is a Diesel - it defaults to CL or "coal" becasue it starts with "Cl") - OR, AM will CORRECTLY replace this with another (non-invisible) Diesel which will cause a collision.

2. It uses a Fred ("Flashing Rear End Device" or blinking red light on the end of the train). You should download this, or set it up as type "Fred" in your rolling stock settings in AM and have some other Fred you use. If you don't do this, you'll end up with a railcar, like a boxcar or something, where a Fred should be, possibly causing excessive length or other problems.

If you continue to have problems, next delete your "am.ini" file in your \Program Files\ActivityMaster folder. Finally, if that doesn't work, please take your rsdb.csv file from your \Program Files\ActivityMaster folder and email it to me, then temporarily drag it OUT of your Program Files\ActivityMaster folder and let me know if THAT corrects the problem. You will lose your rolling stock type definitions (if you made any) temporarily but we'll then know whether or not the problem is with that file. Meanwhile I will check the file, fix it and return it to you.

Thanks,

Steve

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.