Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Activity Gen causes errors
Skyline User's Forum > > Activity Generator
prr4ever
I installed the template for East River District in the route. I then opened activity gen and created an activity, allowing AG to build my train. I folowed the manual and the video tutorial in doing this. This route has been running fine previously and, in fact, I checked it prior to installing the template. Whenever I try to start the route now I get multiple errors of missing rolling stock and MSTS closes. Yes, I do use Train Store but I am assuming that AG is not asking for anything stored and is drawing stock from what is unstored. However I am wondering if, since the template may use default stock ,does it call this stock even though it is stored? If so, how do I change the stock already defaulted in the template? I do have Activity Master but it will not open the route now, giving me an error of "Input past end of file encoutered while loading."

I want to instal a number of route templates but am using this one as a way of getting everything working prior to installing others.

Any help is appreciated.

Dave
prr4ever
I have checked this out further. I ran the consists and the Template through ConBuilder. There were over 100 pieces of rolling stock missing frome the consists created by AG In addition there were dozens missing from the template. None of the missing were MSTS default stock. Now. I do not understand here why AG builds activities from stock that is stored. It was my understanding or misunderstanding, the AG only used what was unstored. I can understand the templates as they are premade and a stock list is given for those. Once those are complete or substituted I would expect AG to simply create an activity from what is unstored. Am I wrong in this assumption? I have over 4000 stored rolling stock and to unstore all of it slows down the whole process. If that is what it takes then so be it. I am simply trying to figure out here what basic base I need to create activities.

Dave
jrmeindl
QUOTE(prr4ever @ Dec 10 2010, 10:28 AM) *
I have checked this out further. I ran the consists and the Template through ConBuilder. There were over 100 pieces of rolling stock missing frome the consists created by AG In addition there were dozens missing from the template. None of the missing were MSTS default stock. Now. I do not understand here why AG builds activities from stock that is stored. It was my understanding or misunderstanding, the AG only used what was unstored. I can understand the templates as they are premade and a stock list is given for those. Once those are complete or substituted I would expect AG to simply create an activity from what is unstored. Am I wrong in this assumption? I have over 4000 stored rolling stock and to unstore all of it slows down the whole process. If that is what it takes then so be it. I am simply trying to figure out here what basic base I need to create activities.

Dave

From my experience, AG will generate an activity even if the rolling stock is stored. However, it will balk if the player consist is missing and then close. AG is not pulling the stock from your trainset folder. It's reading the stock, that's needed for the activity, from the SWLACT*.csv file for that particular template. Whatever stock is listed, in that file, must be unstored for the activity to run. You could generate an activity and then use Activity Master to swap out stock for what you have unstored. Also, per Norm's notes, not all the stock is available to the public, so if you did not get the CD, you might have to adjust the template to work correctly.

Regarding the error "Input past end of file encoutered while loading" that you encounter, I believe that the SWLTDB*.csv file, for that activity, has been hosed. Most likely there is some extra data in the file that is beyond the data range that is normally used. The SWLTDB*.csv uses 10 columns (A thru J) of data. I would open the file with Excel and look at the file from top to bottom. If you find data beyond that range, that is what causes the error. I would then re-install and check the file that came with the download.

Jim
prr4ever
QUOTE(jrmeindl @ Dec 10 2010, 07:00 PM) *
From my experience, AG will generate an activity even if the rolling stock is stored. However, it will balk if the player consist is missing and then close. AG is not pulling the stock from your trainset folder. It's reading the stock, that's needed for the activity, from the SWLACT*.csv file for that particular template. Whatever stock is listed, in that file, must be unstored for the activity to run. You could generate an activity and then use Activity Master to swap out stock for what you have unstored. Also, per Norm's notes, not all the stock is available to the public, so if you did not get the CD, you might have to adjust the template to work correctly.

Regarding the error "Input past end of file encoutered while loading" that you encounter, I believe that the SWLTDB*.csv file, for that activity, has been hosed. Most likely there is some extra data in the file that is beyond the data range that is normally used. The SWLTDB*.csv uses 10 columns (A thru J) of data. I would open the file with Excel and look at the file from top to bottom. If you find data beyond that range, that is what causes the error. I would then re-install and check the file that came with the download.

Jim

Thanks Jim,
That clarifies it a good bit for me. I did notice the stock placed in the activity I generate is mostly MSTS default and boring stock. I seem to remember that I can edit the template and use stock in ny trainset. What I did so far was to look at the player consist generated by AG with ConBuilderand replacing anything missing. I then edited the loose consists and everything is running fine. I also tried "unstoring everything" before running AG. This also worked as once the activity was generated I could go back and store all the routes except the one for the specific activity. Train Store then did not store the rolling stock needed for the specific route and activity. As to the error I did delete the .csv file and reloaded it which corrected the error so you are correct on the trashed file. It seems to be simply a learning curve on my part, as is most software. I actually purchased AG and AM a year or more ago, had this same problem as I wrote here about and simply stopped trying. These days I have the time so am getting back into using AG and really learning it. Balls of fun!!

Dave
nbeveridge
QUOTE(prr4ever @ Dec 13 2010, 05:07 PM) *
Thanks Jim,
That clarifies it a good bit for me. I did notice the stock placed in the activity I generate is mostly MSTS default and boring stock. I seem to remember that I can edit the template and use stock in ny trainset. What I did so far was to look at the player consist generated by AG with ConBuilderand replacing anything missing. I then edited the loose consists and everything is running fine. I also tried "unstoring everything" before running AG. This also worked as once the activity was generated I could go back and store all the routes except the one for the specific activity. Train Store then did not store the rolling stock needed for the specific route and activity. As to the error I did delete the .csv file and reloaded it which corrected the error so you are correct on the trashed file. It seems to be simply a learning curve on my part, as is most software. I actually purchased AG and AM a year or more ago, had this same problem as I wrote here about and simply stopped trying. These days I have the time so am getting back into using AG and really learning it. Balls of fun!!

Dave

Dave,

The East River template is one of the early files, created in an era before most users had high speed internet. We were hesitant to use many downloads since dial up was so slow. We have updated many templates over the last few years to use more downloads for better realism and variety, so hopefully the next template you try will be more satisfying in that respect. Still, we try to limit payware downloads so we don't force purchases on the users. Further, we may not have selected your favorite rolling stock in any case, so even in the newer templates feel free to substitute freely to your liking. AM can help with this. It's part of the fun!
prr4ever
QUOTE(nbeveridge @ Dec 13 2010, 10:03 PM) *
Dave,

The East River template is one of the early files, created in an era before most users had high speed internet. We were hesitant to use many downloads since dial up was so slow. We have updated many templates over the last few years to use more downloads for better realism and variety, so hopefully the next template you try will be more satisfying in that respect. Still, we try to limit payware downloads so we don't force purchases on the users. Further, we may not have selected your favorite rolling stock in any case, so even in the newer templates feel free to substitute freely to your liking. AM can help with this. It's part of the fun!

Thanks Norman,

I chose East River simply because it is a route I have had for years and, actually, seldom run it anymore. I figured if I screwed it up I could always reload it and as there is not a great system demand of resources on this route it is sort of my "test bed" for AG. I have created three great activities now for East River and am enjoying them. Now that I understand AG and AM I will get to installing the templates for the rest of my many routes for which templates are available. Thanks for the help and have a nice holiday season!
sgdavis
QUOTE(prr4ever @ Dec 14 2010, 10:05 AM) *
Thanks Norman,

I chose East River simply because it is a route I have had for years and, actually, seldom run it anymore. I figured if I screwed it up I could always reload it and as there is not a great system demand of resources on this route it is sort of my "test bed" for AG. I have created three great activities now for East River and am enjoying them. Now that I understand AG and AM I will get to installing the templates for the rest of my many routes for which templates are available. Thanks for the help and have a nice holiday season!

Here is how I would suggest fixing this.

1. Download and re-install the East River Template (no need to re-install AG or AM).
2. If you use TrainStore, Unstore Everything.
3. Use Activity Master if you have it, or ConBuilder or RouteRiter, to replace any rolling stock in the TEMPLATE which you find "boring" with better rolling stock you'd prefer to use (AM cannot use or find rolling stock that is "stored").
4. Generate an activity.
5. Store all but that activity if you use TrainStore.
6. Run the activity. Now TrainStore will be "in sync" - whenever you unstore the activity you generated, TrainStore will see you are using different rolling stock and will unstore THAT stock.

Let me know if this works for you.

Thanks,

Steve
prr4ever
A little late getting back to you Steve. I sent you an e-mail with details of the results I am now having with AG and AM. Been too busy with the holidays to do much but am back at the computer again.

I downloaded the V4.0 Beta but have the same problems and errors. BTW on my download of V4 there is no installer with it in the download but I can run it from the unzipped program.exe.

Dave
prr4ever
Okay, I have Act Gen working again so far. I have been using the Pokey and ERD as tests. I have this morning created 4 activities in each using both EB and WB templates.

Here is what I have done.

1. installed AG V4.2.12

2. reinstalled the templates for the two routes.

3. Made certain all stock and routes were "unstored".

That seems to have worked. If I run into any more problems I will post here.

Dave K.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.