Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Editing templates
Skyline User's Forum > > Templates
prr4ever
As I have some special equipment I would like to edit into the basic template consists is this possible and what procedure would I use? Most of the templates use default rolling stock and I would like to delete that and add my own. I have no problem editing with explorer, ConBuilder or RouteRiter. I simply seem to have a problem getting edited templates to function. Any help appreciated.

I should give some more detail here. In Conbuilder I have edited the template consists and the loose consists so all contain valid rolling stock. However when I try to create an activity I often get the following example of a problem and exit to the desktop, not creating the activity.

"Template calls for car type CL but there is no car of that type in the SWLACT CSV file. Contact the template editor". Not certain about how to work with the Template CSV file or exactly what it's function is. They contain all default stock.

The sucsessful work order CSV files do show the car type. However the Template CSV's all have "BX" entered as car type. So what is looking for a car type CL and how do I correct his situation?

The particular Template is the latest version of the Pokey.

Dave
klsc85
Have you checked the SWLACT and SWLTBD CSV files in Wordpad to see if car type symbols match? The SWLACT file will list the types of cars used in the template, and the SWLACT file will list all the sidings and which car types are assigned to those tracks. If the SWLTBD file calls for a car with a certain car type (say CL), but the SWLACT file doesn't include that type, you'll get the error message. With a template as big as the Pokey, tracking down all the mismatches between files could be a real bear.

I've run into the same problem when swapping stock in a template (I use Activity Master). What I've learned is, once I've checked both CSV files and am satisfied that all the car types match yet still get the car type error message, I do a complete re-boot of my computer. That seems to clear things up (happened to me just the other day).

Uncle E

jrmeindl
QUOTE(prr4ever @ Jan 17 2012, 01:07 PM) *
As I have some special equipment I would like to edit into the basic template consists is this possible and what procedure would I use? Most of the templates use default rolling stock and I would like to delete that and add my own. I have no problem editing with explorer, ConBuilder or RouteRiter. I simply seem to have a problem getting edited templates to function. Any help appreciated.

I should give some more detail here. In Conbuilder I have edited the template consists and the loose consists so all contain valid rolling stock. However when I try to create an activity I often get the following example of a problem and exit to the desktop, not creating the activity.

"Template calls for car type CL but there is no car of that type in the SWLACT CSV file. Contact the template editor". Not certain about how to work with the Template CSV file or exactly what it's function is. They contain all default stock.

The sucsessful work order CSV files do show the car type. However the Template CSV's all have "BX" entered as car type. So what is looking for a car type CL and how do I correct his situation?

The particular Template is the latest version of the Pokey.

Dave

As in the previous post, a cartype that is listed in the SWLTDB for any siding pickup/dropoff, there must be a matching cartype in the SWLACT file. Activity Generator should work and create activities as long as that siding containing the missing cartype isn't selected for work. If you want to edit some of your own stock into the traffic consists, that's pretty easy. Using the activity editor, you should be able to add them to the existing traffic consists without any issues. If you want to add them to the cars for pickups and setouts, they would need to be added to the master activity and would also need to be added to the SWLACT file.

In the simplest form, the SWLACT file contains all the rolling stock using in the activity along with the consist number, car numbers, location and the UiD number. All very important information that is needed by AG when creating activities.

The SWLTDB file contains all the information for the sidings such as what car or cars (set by the cartype) should be setout and picked up. The cartypes in this file must have a matching cartype in the SWLACT file to operate correctly.

When adding cars, I usually add them to an existing set of cars on one of the sidings. We would also need to add a Pick Up event for those cars as well. This event is what will give the rolling stock the UiD that is needed by Activity Generator. I would also move the SWLACT and SWLTDB files to a safe location or make copies of them. I would then proceed to open Activity Generator and click on the Create and Modify Activities Button. You will need to create an Activity CSV file. Once you have that CSV file, you can open it using Excel. Find the cars that you added and give them a car type. You can give them a car type of your choosing, but keep in mind if you give them a new type, that type will also need to be added to the SWLTDB file in order for it to be included for any siding work. Once I have edited the cartypes in the SWLACT file, I then copy those lines into the orginal SWLACT file. You can then test the files. More detailed instructions on working with the templates is in the Activity Generator User's Manual. Some knowledge on creating activities using the Activity Editor will also be helpful.

I use Activity Master to swap out cars and haven't had any issues. I'm not sure how ConBuilder or Route Riter work when swapping out rolling stock. It should be OK as long as it doesn't change the consist numbers.

Jim
prr4ever
I appreciate all the help!

I am sorry to be 9 months or more late to reply. My WIN 7 computer has not allowed me to log on to the forum for unknown reasons. I did recently change my internet security software from Mc... to Norton and now I can again log on.

I am going to print these replies and get cracking on the activities. I still do not seem to have much luck using Activity Master. I have watched the video and read the instructions but it still does not come out clearly when I use it. Oh well, old age has those problems!

Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.